Saturday, November 3, 2012

Super Teacher Moment 3

Yesterday was my first day back and I was shadowing my awesome long term sub.  It really just made me miss my little man more, but next week I will be teaching and that should help. 
With that said, I thought I would share a super teacher moment blast from the past.... This one was from when I was teaching 5th grade.  It was my first year teaching, and I don't think I did a whole lot well at that point, but I did create this intensive social studies activity that the current 5th grade team still uses today! 
We learned about different Indian tribes and as a culminating activity, each class took on one tribe to study in depth.  Students were asked to choose an area that they were interested in learning more about to create a center to share with the other classes during our pow-wow.  Students could create a dance, housing, food, children's games, or clothing for their tribe.  They then created a display or activity for other classes to see/do.  It was wonderful to see how excited the students became when they were able to choose a topic that interested them and were able to decide how they wanted to present the information.  (yes, from the start I LOVED differentiation!)  I love that this now "old" fifth grade tradition started with me (the now kindergarten teacher) when I was a first year teacher:)

No comments:

Post a Comment